Thursday, March 1, 2012

John Berkey - I dream of scifi like his paintings



I just ran into an article in the art magazine Juxtapoz on the works of John Berkey. His work was the greatest inspiration for my scifi selection process. I always loved his work and it showed up on books that had the elements that I favored.

His painting style has influenced the way that I paint as well. I seemed to capture an atmosphere with minimal brush strokes. I would have loved to watch him work. 


A day was even dedicated to him: Excelsior Declares JOHN BERKEY Day March 22, 2007.


Huge fan site: John Berkey Artwork.
His Obituary: excerpt: 
In 2005, he told the Star Tribune that he had never seen "Star Wars," nor was he a science-fiction fan, but he sold "Star Wars" creator George Lucas the painting credited with inspiring the Death Star.
"I have just never been into science fiction," Berkey said. "It isn't literature."
Skip Liepke, longtime New York artist, now of Minneapolis, said Berkey "was able to take the fantasy and make it real."

No comments:

Post a Comment